RSS Feed

The Big Reveal

October 3, 2012 by Suzi

Welcome to the Big Reveal
I enjoy reading author interviews, but often times they don’t ask the kinds of questions I wonder about. So I’ve assembled a group of writers at all levels, from un-agented to published, and every week I will have a new question for them.

But first, a big congratulations to Mindi Scott
on the release of her newest book yesterday: Live Through This.

Is writing your real job?
How long have you been writing?

Lynne Schmidt, Un-Agented Author
I’m not allowed to say where I work, but I can say I’m a shift supervisor at a retail company. :)

I wrote as a kid, well before I knew how to create or write words. I destroyed countless papers with squiggles until I got fed up one day and told my mom and her boyfriend I needed to learn how to write. From there I started writing my own picture books (the drawings were awful, always had the MC Amy, and a horse named Buttercup). I’d like to hope my writing has matured a bit since then 

Theresa Paulo, Un-Agented Author
I might not get paid for my writing but I still consider it my job ;) But my real job is in the Marketing Services department at a company that designs, markets and distributes household cutlery, kitchen tools, gadgets, and other houseware products, including KitchenAid, Cuisinart, Mikasa, Pfaltzgraff, Farberware, Food Network, Guy Fieri, Martha Stewart and so on. Interesting right? lol

I wrote my first book when I was seven. As a teenager I wrote poetry, which was awful, but I was always better with expressing myself in words. I started seriously writing about four years ago. I finished my first novel and thought this is it. I’m going to be published and live the good life. Talk about naïve. I was nowhere near ready. The past four years have been the best learning experience of my life.

Mindi Scott, Published Author
Writing is half of my real job; I also have a part-time job doing data entry for many of the State Tobacco Quit Lines. I’ve been writing with the aim of publication for about eight years now. Most of what I wrote as a kid was diaries/journals or things that I had to write for school.

Steph Campbell, Published Author
Well, I have four small children, so they are my “real” job, but I don’t work outside of writing, and it pays the bills. I’ve been writing seriously for the last two years, I’d say. I wrote as a child, but, like most kids, it was mostly short stories and poems.

Christa Desir, Pre-Published Author
I edit romance. It’s the greatest job. I love it & don’t think I could ever give it up completely just to write. It makes me a better writer. I started creatively writing in high school. But I’ve had lots of distractions since then. You wouldn’t believe me if I told you the number of jobs I’ve had.

Dahlia Adler, Agented Author
My real job is an Assistant Editor at an academic publisher, and a contracted freelance copy editor for two e-publishers. I’ve been writing for as long as I can remember, but if by seriously writing you mean writing things I eventually queried, I’d say… ten years?

Jenny Morris, Agented Author
My 8 to 5 job is working for a General Contractor as a contract admin/accounting clerk. I have been seriously writing for 4 years. No, I didn’t write as a kid. I acted out the stories I created in my head.

Mónica Bustamante Wagner, Agented Author
No, writing isn’t my real job…and I’m a stay-at-home mom. I’ve been seriously writing for like 5 years now. But I started writing in Spanish. And I wrote a couple of stories as a kid, but I never thought I’d like to become an author till after I got married.

Is writing your real job?

15 Comments »

1. Kyra Lennon says:

Writing is my real job. :D I am a freelance article writer, so whether I am working to get paid, or writing a new novel – I’m always writing. :D

2. Chloe Banks says:

Writing is my job. I don’t really earn any money from it, but God told me I had to be a writer so I am trying to have enough faith to take Him at His word and assume it’s all going to turn out for the best! I sometimes wonder if he couldn’t have told me that before I did a science degree, but I know He knows what He’s doing!

I hate telling people I’m a writer because they expect me to have a string of publications to point them towards. It’s hard saying that I take a job so seriously and do it full-time without being a well-known author. Good for my humility though!

3. Suzi says:

I started writing about 2.5 years ago. I do civil engineering work sometimes, but not very often anymore.

My ‘real’ job is a stay at home mom. But since they’re both in school for the first time this fall, I’m on vacation. :) Actually, I’m spending lots of time with my writing, so hopefully I can get a lot done and move towards that dream.

4. Jay says:

Writing is not my “real” job. It is a job, like any other, but one I will only pursue on the time away from the 9-5 grind. During the day I’m wearer of many hats at a family owned company in the business/science world. I do lots of customer service and a bit of admin/accounting work.

5. Good question Suzi! I love reading everyone’s answers. I’m a teacher, so writing isn’t my real job either. I think it’s so impressive that so many people juggle writing with their “real jobs.”

6. Morgan Shamy says:

What a fun topic. Writing is a hobby. My job would be taking care of my 4 kiddos. Best job in the world!

7. Robin says:

Suzi-
    This is a great feature. I’m always curious about the lives behind the writers. Thanks for asking the questions and compiling the answers:)

8. The job I get paid for is as a school social worker. Writing is an unpaid second job right now. I’ve been struggling to figure out what to do next with it. I’ve been writing about four and a half years with the aim at publication. :)

9. Janeal Falor says:

Writing is not my real job, but it is my real stress relief from my job as a stay at home mom. Seriously, I love my kids, but being a parent 24/7 is exhausting. I’m just grateful I can escape into a world of my own making.

10. Nope, unfortunately not, because I don’t get paid for it. But I do spend a lot of time doing it, as if it were a work-from-home job. I was just about to say taking care of my family was my only “real” job, but I don’t get paid for that, either, so maybe I should consider writing my real job! Ha!

11. Jolene Perry says:

Two kids, and this is the first year that they’re both in school.
    I’ve been writing for close to three years, and I think timing is good for them to be in school and me to be taking myself seriously. Sorta ;-)

I do not make enough to support a family if my husband didn’t work, but as I keep writing and keep getting books out there, I get closer and closer.

12. I may not do it full-time, but writing is a job.

13. I wish I could just write full-time, but at least my job involves a lot of writing, even if it isn’t necessarily creative writing. And I get to see a lot of movies which is always good inspiration.

14. Awesome answers and … HELL YES, this is a real job!
    Great question!

15. Christa says:

I see “up” and “down” a lot in MS. Like “John stood up and grabbed his keys” or “I sat down and crossed my legs”. We almost always delete them in edit passes:)