Apr 02

Last October after watching all the movies on TV before Halloween, I got the idea to do an A to Z on horror movies. I also have a story premise in the back of my head involving horror movies, so this fits into my research for that. So I’m going to talk about random horror movies.

First, I am no film critic, just a person who likes horror movies. And second, some of the posts may contain spoilers. So you have been warned.

Babysitter Wanted (2008)

IMDb Summary: In a small college town, a young girl working on a babysitting job in a rural farm is terrorized throughout the night.

Cheese factor: High
Gore factor: High
Creep factor: High
Could it happen? No

I got a kick out this movie. It hit all the extremes. So many clichés. And the cheese factor was high for several reasons.

The big one: This movie takes place in the early 80s, I’m guessing. The cars are all big and boxy, 70s-80s cars. The house was decorated with lacey curtains and horrid wallpaper. The large corded phone hangs on the wall. So it’s definitely the early 80s.

But, get this.

Two characters use cell phones. Small sleek cell phones. Like the ones we use today. I rolled my eyes big time at that.

Another example: Through most of the movie, you think it’s just a regular movie with some bad serial killer or something. But no. Not the case. About ¾ into the movie—Boom. All of a sudden, we find out the creepy kid is the son of the devil and can only eat raw virginal flesh.

And he had horns he’d been hiding under his cap.

The only thing that saved this movie was the dialogue. Cheesy, but hilarious at times.

The best was when we find out about the flesh eating devil child. The two parents/caretakers are so nonchalant about the whole thing. Like they’ve accepted this job, and it’s completely normal to be cutting up virgins for your devil child to eat.

This little tiff between the couple cracked me up. They were arguing about the process and one goes, “Oh and cutting girls into bite sized pieces is my thing?” Maybe not so funny out of context, but with what was going on in the movie, it totally made me laugh. There were lots of terrific lines in this movie.

So if you like cheesy horror flicks, check this one out.

Have you seen it?

Other B movies I recommend: Blair Witch Project (no gore, lots of suspense)

19 Responses to “A to Z – Babysitter Wanted”

1. This sounds so bad that it might possibly be good.

Great theme. I love horror movies.

2. Not really into horror, but this one sounds funnier than scary.

3. I think I’ll skip this one. :)

4. Jackie F. says:

I’ve never heard of this one. I might check it out!

5. Dana says:

This sounds like one I need to watch! I love the cheese factor. LOL

6. Melanie Schulz says:

very, very cheesy. love it.

7. Jean Yates says:

I think this sounds hilarious. I would definitely watch this if I were, say, 16 and at a sleepover with lots of popcorn, soda, and other screaming
    teens.
    Pillowfight!!!
    Thanks for the fun review!
    jean yates #196

8. lol, sounds horribly entertaining, pun intended. Horror movies seem to fall into three categories – truly horrific, cheesy but still funny, and too cheesy to watch. So I’m looking forward to more of you picks ^_^
    ____

Find me:
    Blog: http://allysonlindt.com
    email: Allyson.Lindt@gmail.com
    Twitter: @AllysonLindt

9. Robin says:

virginal flesh and horns-lol! Sounds like a horror movie even I could watch (and laugh through).

10. Never even heard of this one. Did try to watch Blair Witch once but Shaky the Camera Man gave me a headache.

11. Jolene says:

Sounds FANtastic! lol.

I loooooved the Blair Witch Project, but mostly b/c I grew up playing in woods that looked so much like that and imagined similar scenarios a TON of times…

12. Wendy says:

I’m not a fan of horror movies, but I could have fun watching one or two using your rating system because you acknowledge how bad they are but enjoy them for that very reason. After I saw one of those Chuckie movies, I had to take the dolls out of my girls’ bedrooms — all those plastic smiling faces became creepy. Visiting from A to Z.

13. Dani says:

Hahaha! Oh man I want to watch this just to share in your love of the cheesiness but I don’t know if I can. But I will try.

14. I am a big chicken, but this might be cheesey enough for me to give it a spin…in broad daylight!

15. Well I’ve never seen Babysitter Wanted but, you’re right, it sounds pretty high on the fromage scale. Your Amityville Horror post? From yesterday? OMG, it scared the crap out of me when I first saw it. I was alone in the house, 16 years old, talking to my boyfriend on the CB in the basement and suddenly I heard what sounded like footsteps crossing the kitchen floor upstairs. My BF came running over with a baseball bat to fight off any loose Amityville horrors, but I guess it was nothing more than my imagination. As for the BF, well, he turned out to be a bigger horror than any movie.

16. I LOVED the Blair Witch, this movie that you’re talking about sounds funny. I kind of want to see it now…

17. Beverly says:

Never heard of it, but it sounds funny.