RSS Feed

A to Z – Cabin/Children

April 3, 2013 by Suzi

Last October after watching all the movies on TV before Halloween, I got the idea to do an A to Z on horror movies. I also have a story premise in the back of my head involving horror movies, so this fits into my research for that. So I’m going to talk about random horror movies.

First, I am no film critic, just a person who likes horror movies. And second, some of the posts may contain spoilers. So you have been warned.

Children of the Corn (1984)

IMDb Summary: A young couple is trapped in a remote town where a dangerous religious cult of children believe everyone over the age of 18 must be killed.

Cheese factor: low
Gore factor: medium
Creep factor: high
Could it happen? nope.

This is one of the best horror movies and one of my all time favorites. It’s got it all:

Creepy music.

Creepy story: Everyone over 18 is killed in this teeny, tiny town. When someone turns 18, they are sacrificed to He Who Walks Behind the Rows. (That’s not a good thing.)

Creepy characters: Isaac is the head of the group. He’s got this screechy voice, is kinda puny looking, and dresses like a religious leader. Malachi is his enforcer. Flaming red hair, tall and imposing, heartless and ruthless. You don’t mess with Malachi cause he screwed over Isaac. But don’t worry, Malachi got his due.

Creepy setting: Scary cornfields and an almost ghost town with no adults. I’m sure this made many people afraid of going in a cornfield.

It’s a little bloody, but not really gory.

Like I said, I’ve always loved this movie and have seen it many times. It’d be fun to read the short story written by Stephen King that this is based on. Someday I might do that too. But for the movie, check this one out. Just don’t waste your time on any of the sequels.

Another I have to quickly mention is Cabin by the Lake (2000), a made-for-tv movie.

If you like realistic and creepy, but not gory, this is a great one. Judd Nelson plays a horror movie screen-writer/serial killer, who drops the girls he kidnaps into the lake, with a concrete block attached to their feet because he’s creating a ‘garden’ of sorts.

I love it because it’s creative, not your typical serial killer. And it’s got some funny parts too. Definitely one to check out. And it still runs on TV periodically.

Have you seen Children of the Corn or Cabin by the Lake?

Other C movies I recommend: Candyman: like a serial killer Beetlejuice-don’t say his names 3x in a row, Cabin Fever: flesh-eating virus, Child’s Play: who doesn’t love Chuckie (all scary/gory)

14 Comments »

1. Dani says:

NEED to watch Cabin by the Lake. It sounds amazingly creepy!
    I never looked at corn the same again after watch Children of the Corn. Totally freaked me out. Plus my cousins made me watch it when I was like ’86 when I was 8. Jerks!
    Dani @ Entertaining Interests
    #warriorminion

2. I don’t think I’ve ever seen CABIN but I have seen CHILDREN OF THE CORN. I don’t remember it too well so I guess I’ll just have to watch it again…and read/re-read the story. :)

3. Cassie Mae says:

Children of the corn still haunts me! I can’t even think about it before bed or I won’t get any sleep.

4. Both sound really creepy. I didn’t watch a lot of horror when I was younger, but I’m on a quest now to catch up on the quality stuff. These are both going on the list. Well, Children of the Corn is. Cabin by the Lake might be a bit much with the drowning.

____

Find me:
    Blog: http://allysonlindt.com
    email: Allyson.Lindt@gmail.com
    Twitter: @AllysonLindt

5. Kriti says:

Haven’t seen the movie ‘Children of the Corn’…but was just wondering how long this religious cult’s going to survive!

Kriti
    Regards
    [Stopping by from AtoZ Blogging]

6. Jackie F. says:

Great choices for the letter C. Both are creative and creepy! Judd Nelson played a terrific pyscho.

7. I’ve read “Children of the Corn” and seen part (but not all) of the movie. It really is a great story.

8. Sue Roebuck says:

Creepy indeed! I haven’t seen either but I love reading creepy books, so I wonder if they’re in paper form? I’ll check, otherwise it’ll be movie time.

9. Robin says:

Truth-I saw this one, at least part of it when my parents were out and we were flipping channels. I couldn’t sleep with my back towards my bedroom door for years convinced someone would come in and stab me in the back-lol

10. Not a fan or horror pics at all. Have not seen any of these two movies. Great topic for the challenge.

I saw Children of the Corn a long time ago, but do remember thinking it was creepy. :) Haven’t seen the other one, but my husband is the horror movie guy around here so I’ll have to tell him to check it out.

12. I grew up on a farm and corn fields are creepy when you’re alone and walking past them. Don’t even talk about being near them at night.

13. I love “Cheese factor/Gore factor/Creep Factor/Could it happen?” What a great theme!

14. Beverly says:

I have to say this did not hold up well for me upon re-viewing. Not sure why.

Loved Cabin by the Lake, though.