RSS Feed

A to Z – The Descent

April 4, 2013 by Suzi

Last October after watching all the movies on TV before Halloween, I got the idea to do an A to Z on horror movies. I also have a story premise in the back of my head involving horror movies, so this fits into my research for that. So I’m going to talk about random horror movies.

First, I am no film critic, just a person who likes horror movies. And second, some of the posts may contain spoilers. So you have been warned.

The Descent (2005)

IMDb Summary: A caving expedition goes horribly wrong, as the explorers become trapped and ultimately pursued by a strange breed of predators.

Cheese factor: Medium
Gore factor: Medium
Creep factor: Medium
Could it happen? I’m gonna go with no, but then again I haven’t gone caving in the deepest recesses of the earth.

This is one of those movies that would’ve never happened without several completely asinine decisions.

So one of the women left behind the cave guidebook and didn’t tell anyone. You know… until it’s too late.

But it doesn’t matter because she led them to a different cave than they’d planned. So if the group doesn’t return, the people who would be sent out to search for them would go to the wrong cave. Basically, nobody knew where they are.

The one hard thing to believe is that all 7 women decide to army crawl through a long, 24” diameter tunnel. And we’re not talking smooth and round, it’s a jagged hole cut out of rock that they can barely get through. I’m not claustrophobic, but that takes a lot of guts (stupidity). And guess what happens?

A little rock slide that blocks their way back. Of course.

The creepy part of this movie was getting trapped in the cave by a rockslide and not knowing how to get out. Then, when it’s dark, these weird, blind, Gollum-like, people eating creatures attack them.

In some ways I liked it, but others not. I know horror movies are usually based off stupid decisions, but this one had way too many stupid decisions for the story to happen. And that pushes the line of believability to me.

This one was okay, but not great. Have you seen it?

Other D movies I recommend: Devil

11 Comments »

1. Nick Wilford says:

Sometimes you want that cheesiness in a horror movie. But I guess that’s reserved for spoof versions.

2. Grover says:

I haven’t seen it, but your description that it’s a film that ‘would never have happened without several completely asinine decisions’ had me laughing.

Grover
    Inane Ramblings

3. I actually liked this one a lot – the whole part once they’re in the cave totally creeped me out. The Descent Part II wasn’t bad either. (Oh, and I think the woman left the guide book behind on purpose because she knew they were going to a different cave…)

4. Dani says:

I have seen it and really liked it… Descent 2 was super cheesy. Those creatures freaky!
    Dani @ Entertaining Interests
    #warriorminion

5. Dana says:

I can’t breathe right now. Just the thought of that tunnel and the rocks….my claustrophobia! I don’t think I can watch this one. ;)

6. Hello, Suzi! I don’t watch or read horror. I’m too much of a wimp!

Happy A to Z-ing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

7. I am a horror movie fanatic and hated this one. I almost didn’t even finish it.

Dropping in from A to Z. This is my first year. I love it.

Brett Minor
    Transformed Nonconformist

8. Lael says:

I think that’s the reason I can’t stand a lot of tv or movies.. People are always making stupid decisions. I’m not brilliant by any means but I can’t find anything relatable with the characters, ya know?

Yeah, I find it hard to believe that all seven women would be willing to crawl through a tiny tunnel. Personally, I’d be totally freaked!

10. Robin says:

It does sound hard to believe. And big shocker, I haven’t seen it. I don’t know why, but I laughed reading about the blind, gollum-like creatures. (maybe it’s my lack of sleep!)

11. Beverly says:

Never seen it, but friends of mine have recommended it.

I think most horror movies require a hell of a lot of “suspension of disbelief” in order to work.