RSS Feed

A to Z – Jaws

April 11, 2013 by Suzi

Last October after watching all the movies on TV before Halloween, I got the idea to do an A to Z on horror movies. I also have a story premise in the back of my head involving horror movies, so this fits into my research for that. So I’m going to talk about random horror movies.

First, I am no film critic, just a person who likes horror movies. And second, some of the posts may contain spoilers. So you have been warned.

Jaws (1975)

IMDb Summary: When a gigantic great white shark begins to menace the small island community of Amity, a police chief, a marine scientist and grizzled fisherman set out to stop it.

Cheese factor: Low
Gore factor: Medium
Creep factor: Medium
Could it happen? Unlikely, but maybe a small chance (I’m no shark expert)

Jaws is one of those movies almost everyone has seen. And it’s spawned so many copycats. I’ve seen tons of man-eating shark movies. Of course they are all pretty cheesy compared to the Jaws. And of course everyone knows the da dum, da dum, da dum, da dum sound, even if they haven’t seen the movie. The sound that means get the hell out of the water.

The thing that makes this scary is that sharks do attack people. Yes, shark attacks are rare, and I’m pretty sure most of them are not from giant great whites, but still. And again, I’m no shark expert, but for a shark to attach a big boat and rip it apart, that seems highly unlikely. But I won’t say impossible.

I’m not afraid of shark attacks, but I will admit that thanks to Jaws, the thought crosses my mind when I go into the ocean. But then again, I think about jellyfish stings, and how to get rid of the pain thanks to that episode of Friends years ago. (Remember that?)

But for Jaws, I love the combination of gritty characters and the setting and that most of the movie feels very real. (The unreal part being the last few scenes.)

Do you think about shark attacks when you swim in the ocean?

11 Comments »

1. Jackie F. says:

I think of shark attacks when I’m at the ocean. I still go in to the water, but I’m more aware of my surroundings and I watch my kids like a hawk. .. not just for sharks, but also so they don’t drown.
    My brothers used to tease me when we were little with that Jaws theme music at the beach and even the lake. Lol

2. tara tyler says:

living in florida for my teen years, yes i thought about sharks! and jellies & crabs, etc!
    give me a pool!

now my sons and i try to catch the little fish & critters when we visit the beach =)

3. I think part of what I love about this movie is how so much of it is implied – you don’t see the shark in its entirety until near the end, but what you’ve seen up until that point is pretty damn scary.

Oh, and that Friends episode is still hilarious! Actually caught it on TV the other day and had to watch. :)

4. Dani says:

Jaws has never been one of my favorite movies. Idk why, but never has.
    Dani @ Entertaining Interests
    #warriorminion

5. ilima says:

I have seen sharks in the ocean a few times in my life (grew up in Hawaii) and it is scary indeed. Mostly they just swam by, but still.

6. Robin says:

Finally, a movie I’ve seen:) I saw it first in my cousins’ basement. They live by this enormous lake (esp. if you’re only 9 or 10) and I was terrified to get into the water for the rest of the trip. I still remember my uncle laughing at us and making the music anytime I was having enough fun to forget about Jaws.

I did a marine bio trip in hs and we had to swim with sharks. It took some guts to get me in the tank, but after that, seeing (the mainly harmless ones) in the ocean doesn’t even phase me.

7. I’m not a horror movie fan, but I think it’s awesome you’re doing this. I’ve never seen jaws and I never will. But the music is for sure something to remember :)

8. Gina says:

Jaws totally creeped me out when I watched it.

9. Kate says:

I don’t think I’ve ever watched Jaws all the way from start to finish, but it’s definitely one of those iconic films that will forever haunt me when I’m in the ocean.

10. I’ve actually never seen it. Which is amazing because I am a huge Spielberg fan. Also not a fan of swimming in the ocean, but that has nothing to do with sharks or Jaws.

11. Janeal says:

A scary movie that I can actually handle! The few times I’ve been in the ocean I have to admit the thought did cross my mind that a shark could come for me. The famous music really makes the movie.